Loving My New Novel~Wonder

With having two snow days and a delayed opening, not to mention an unexpected trip to the ER, I have been able to sit and read.  As I stated in an earlier post, I am reading Wonder by RJ Palacio. 

Wonder has made me think about the classroom environment, especially accepting new people and the words that are expressed.

One Chapter that I read was extremely thought provoking. An idea I want to incorporate in class popped up  “Choose Kind” is the title of the chapter.

It is Auggie’s first day of classes.  He has never gone to school.  He is going through his classes, not sure what to think of the experience until he gets to English in room 321, Mr. Browne’s classroom.

Mr. Browne writes the word, P-R-E-C-E-P-T on the board.  A precept is a general rule meant to change behavior or thought.  His important rule for the first month of school:  WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING RIGHT OR BEING KIND.  CHOOSE KIND.

The last line of the chapter was Auggie’s thought, “As I wrote down Mr. Browne’s September precept, I suddenly realized that I was going to like school.  No matter what.”  Wow!!

The power of words in a book.  What a great springboard for discussion.  Lesson: Ideas come from every where, but the ideas can be multiplied by reading.

What new thoughts, ideas, or questions come to your mind from reading?

photo 030bae78-d578-4de2-b6b5-6ca602cbb293_zps2cb6674a.jpg